Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Major Questions

Unfortunately, because I didn’t realize that this assignment was assigned until Monday and because of a Tuesday on which I had commitments from 9:30 A.M. to 9:30 P.M., I was unable to schedule or complete all of the interviews. Earlier, though, in talking to my major advisor and looking forward to my future at tech, I am pleased with my future as an EE, and I am ready to schedule for next semester and know the path I need to take. However, I was unable to speak with an older student or a professor. I chose my major because I have always been interested in science and invention. In particular I want to be a part of the advance of technology. As such, I went to engineering camps and did a good deal of research on my own with two different potential end goals: nanotechnology and quantum computing. Both of these fields fascinate me and I would be satisfied being involved in either. Because I know where I want to end up, all I had to choose was a major that would route to that end. I chose Electrical Engineering because I talked to multiple advisors and others in the EE field and learned from them that EE was one of the many routes to nanotechnology. At the engineering camps I’ve been to I found that I enjoyed toying with computer hardware and soldering things, so that additionally pushed me towards EE since EE and computer engineering are very closely related. I feel confident about the major I’ve chosen, though that may change next semester when I take my first actual EE courses and get a taste of what the subject is actually like. If I were to change my major I would likely pursue materials science engineering. I didn’t enjoy chemistry very much in high school but I believe that that was mostly due to the teacher, so I would be willing to try again. The things accomplished by MSE are very interesting and if I weren’t trying to get involved in nanotech or quantum computing I would definitely be working with the various types of materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment