Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Mid-Term Progress

On a scale of 1 to 100 I would say my progress thus far this semester is around an 85. I have been doing fairly well in my classes, but the amount of homework I have been doing is not sufficient to maintain my current averages. Luckily, I am fully aware that I need to increase the amount of work I've been doing, and I will do so in the coming weeks to ensure that my grades do not suffer. As it is, I've been spending too much time socializing and not enough time doing actual homework. The most difficult thing to adjust to academically has been the expectation that you learn and understand on your own rather than having the teacher spell out how to do a problem for you. You are expected to spend your own time as opposed to class time learning and understanding concepts, which was difficult for me to adapt to. Socially, it has been difficult for me having friends around living in close proximity. At home, I would have plenty of time alone to peacefully complete my work with free time to spare. Here, however, I find it hard to turn down enjoyable opportunities to do work instead, and I end up procrastinating longer than I should. Particularly in CS 1371 – this class causes me no end of trouble because of the large amount of homework given every week and the difficulty of that homework and the concepts contained within. To start the second half of the semester, I plan to focus on spending enough time on homework. If I can spend a sufficient amount of time on my homework, everything else should work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment